For someone who is a fan of the popular game darts, you would really feel the need to have one at home. Here’s what you’ll need to make your own Darts Beasts and dartboard:
- 1-inch thick cork board to avoid your darts from going through your cabinet.
- Spider wire
- Colored markers
- Wood pallets for your dartboard cabinet. Separate them individually first.
- Wood stain and varnish
- Wood glue
- Chalkboard (You can also make your own, just buy a chalk spray paint)
- Sander or just plain 80 grid sandpaper
Making the Dartboard
- Measure the cork board to the standard size of a regular dartboard which is 18 inches.
- Cut the corkboard using the saw then trim the edges so it looks smooth.
- Make a pinhole at the very center of your cork board. This part is a bit tricky because you will be marking the sections of your dartboard. Measure the diameters of each circular section as follows:
- Inner bullseye – ½ inch
- Outer bullseye – 1 ¼ inch
- Triple score ring – 7 ⅞ inches and 8 ½ inches
- Double score band – 12 ⅞ inches and 13 ½ inches
Divide up the sections of your dartboard in 20 equal parts but do not include the inner and outer bullseye sections. Color them up with your markers as desired.
Add wire and apply them over the divided lines on the corkboard between each section. Bend the wire and follow the dartboard sequence as follows: 20 1 18 4 13 6 10 15 2 17 3 19 7 16 8 11 14 9 12
Making the Cabinet
Prepare your wood pallets and sand them down to get a cleaner finish.
Measure your desired size for your cabinet then cut down the wood.
Stain the wood to the desired look then let them dry overnight.
Glue the wood pieces together for the back panel of your cabinet, make sure that it will be the desired size to fit the 18-inch dartboard.
Glue together the wood panels for the cabinet doors. If you want to add a design or make it slightly bigger you can do so. Allow the wood panels to dry first and use a clamp to hold them together.
Attach the cabinet doors to the back panel using the hinges. You can drill holes on the wood first before screwing down the hinges for the doors.
If you have extra wood left, cut 2 small pieces of the same size to make as holders for the darts.
Apply wood varnish to the entire cabinet. You can apply 2-3 coats then allow to dry.
Attach your DIY dartboard to your cabinet, making sure it is securely placed.
Make 2 chalkboards for each side of the cabinet doors for your scoreboard. If you have the chalkboard paint or spray paint, apply 2 coats to the wood. Allow drying then attach it to the cabinet.
You can now enjoy playing your own dart game with friends with your very own DIY dartboard or make it as a special gift.